Hi. I read somewhere that the government only gives 150k a year to Neuroblastoma research. Ummmm…. how can I find out if this truly is true. You know what they say, you can’t believe everything you read on the internet. Can any of you help me out with this? I seriously need a little research assistant to help me compile these facts.
If this is true, I am going to go ape shit. Here are some facts below that I know are indeed true. We need to use these as ammunition to help against this fight.
- Childhood cancer is the number one disease killer in children.
- Neuroblastoma is the most common cancer in infancy.
- Neuroblastoma is the most common extra cranial solid tumor cancer in children.
- Every 16 hours a child with neuroblastoma dies.
- There is no known cure for neuroblastoma.
- Nearly 70% of those children first diagnosed, have disease that has already metastasized or spread to other parts of the body. When disease has spread at diagnosis and a child is over the age of 2 there is less than a 30% chance of survival.
- Childhood cancer is the leading cause of death by disease in the US and it kills more children per year than cystic fibrosis, muscular dystrophy, asthma and AIDS combined.
- There are 15 children diagnosed with cancer for every one child diagnosed with pediatric AIDS. Yet, the U.S. invests approximately $595,000 for research per victim of pediatric AIDS and only $20,000 for each victim of childhood cancer.
- The National Cancer Institute’s (NCI) federal budget was $4.6 billion. Of that, breast cancer received 12%, prostate cancer received 7%, and all 12 major groups of pediatric cancers combined received less than 3%.
- 5%-7% of all childhood malignancies
- about 1 in 6000 children will be diagnosed with neuroblastoma by the age of five
- The average age at diagnosis is two
- About 25% of newly diagnosed neuroblastomas are found in children under the age of one
I’m on a mission today. I am pissed today. Teddy’s funeral should not have happened. Ronan’s funeral should not have happened along with countless of others that have happened and WILL continue to happen unless some serious action is taken.
This should have stopped yesterday. Time is not on our side in this fucking war.
Where are all the funds these kids need and deserve????? What is going on in this mad, mad world that they are all tossed aside as if they do not matter? If you can purposely be blind to something like this, I question your soul.
FUCK YOU, CANCER.