Please take a minute and read this article. This is so important to me, and to the MISS Foundation. Grief is not a psychiatric illness, and should not be treated like one.

tumblr_m1ip7wxcxc1qjml5bo1_500

1. Deborah

/  January 4, 2013

I have never heard of anything more ridiculous, maddening, frustrating, and/or idiotic. What a disgrace!! Let the boycotting begin!!

2. So to avoid being labeled as having a mental illness which could keep that which would keep that person from ever having certain jobs… That person would not be allowed to grieve in the face of tragedy? Mental illness is feeling without a cause… Death and tragedy are major causes. How many of us would lose jobs because of losing someone close to us or a family tragedy. WHATEVER! It’s absurd! Those grieving are alive as they feel such intense pain… Those medicated and numb? There might be some real concern there… I’m speechless!

3. Chandi

/  January 4, 2013

Your strength amazes me! There’s no doubt that Ronan is proud of you, and I’m sure Teddy’s mom is grateful for your friendship. Also, you have a gift…..a gift of writing. You put emotions into words in a way that nobody else can. You pull your readers into your soul.

4. Chelsea

/  January 4, 2013

I read this and have shared it with many people today because it makes me so sick and enrages me. I am a home based family therapist, so I work in the mental health field, and I truly believe this change will have major ramifications if it goes through.

5. Sandra

/  January 5, 2013

This is such a fucking stupid idiotic ugggg i cant even get it out!

6. I think so many people are afraid to feel… that doctors who barely know people experiencing grief prescribe to help them get through, move, function… yet part of grief and life after lossing someone important is feeling – feeling heavy, feeling sad, feeling sick, feeling lonely… how can you not feel that? Some people would rather not feel those things… but not feeling those things means you can’t feel the other things either… happy, okay, alive…
    Grief is grief… not a medicated illness, but a way to survive and move and remember and feel…

7. Kristina

/  January 5, 2013

Sadly, there is an agenda in labeling those grieving as mentally ill, so they could sell so many more drugs. Maya, when I share something like this, one person reads. When you share it, hundreds of thousands do. You have a power to influence people and you use it wisely. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Impressive hand writing for a one year old. #poppy #ronan #babyactivist #poppystrikesagain #empiregogold #changingtheworld #fucancer #Repost from @ronanfoundation If you've been tagged, you're it!!! It’s time to… ‪#‎BeBoldGoGold‬! Get your glitter on! We’re kicking off Childhood Cancer Awareness Month with a bang & a sparkle! Throughout September, we’re turning ourselves into spicy, gold human billboards for childhood cancer awareness and want YOU to join us! Welcome to the #BeBoldGoGold Challenge!
HOW IT WORKS:
You deck yourself out in your gold bling or glitter—jewelry, clothes, facepaint, you name it, you rock it. You head out into a public place. Talk to at least one person about childhood cancer—tell them a fact, like that 46 are diagnosed with cancer every day. The goal is to raise awareness, so talk to as many people as you can & encourage them to take the #BeBoldGoGold Challenge

Film/photograph your adventure, and tag us in it! We’re reposting submissions to our new #BeBoldGoGold Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter. When you post your video/photo, nominate 3 people to carry out the challenge by tagging them. They have 48 hours after being tagged to get their gold on! Make sure to hashtag #BeBoldGoGold and ‪#‎RTF‬

At the end of September, we’re giving a prize to whoever goes all out and makes the biggest impact (aka raises the most awareness)! We’ll also have #BeBoldGoGold shirts available to purchase (link coming soon). If you would prefer to donate instead of (or in addition to) the challenge, visit: http://www.theronanthompsonfoundation.com/ & share the link.
The Challenge starts…NOW! #Repost from @firedaughterclothing
It's almost September! Childhood Cancer Awareness Month- this is my I think 4th year working with my absolutely amazing girlfriend @mamamaya to raise awareness for Childhood Cancer, which brutally stole her son Ronan.  I was introduced to Maya when my close girlfriend Sandra's daughter was also fighting for her life, alongside Ronan.  Mia beat her cancer but has severe radiation injury.  This horrible horrible thing brought us all together and we are determined to make a difference for all of our babies.  Keep an eye out over the next week or so.  It's time to Go Gold 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟